Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Still on the tree...

So my husband and I had a conversation the other day about why people chop down a perfectly fine tree to drag it indoors, to have die and then haul it back out?

My conclusion was that a tree brings a symbol of life into our homes during the darkest time of the year. While everything outside is snuggled down waiting for Spring we need a sign of vitality. As a Christian, that life in the midst of darkness is the birth of Jesus Christ. I think of the light of the world as I look upon the lights on our tree.

Bringing in a tree helps the air quality of our homes by taking in Carbon Dioxide and giving off oxygen. This is especially needed in the winter months when we are inside more. (Side note - you can get Organic Christmas trees. We went 2 places looking for them and could not find one, but next year I will find one for sure!)

Our Christmas tree this year is also a symbol of commitment. After learning that it takes 8 years to grow the average Christmas tree I have an appreciation for the farmer that tended to this tree for so many years. My husband and I have been together for 8 years. The entire time we have been dating/married/parents this tree has been growing waiting to come into our home.

This is the first year I have been home with our tree for any extended length of time. The smell, the lights, the ornaments I am loving it all this year!

Don't just look at your tree as an annual decorative obligation but give it another look this year.

No comments: