Monday, December 1, 2008

Oh Tannenbaum


Being a North Carolina native I have a love for the classic Fraser fir Christmas Tree. My grandfather used to grow Christmas trees many years ago in the mountains of NC.

There are approximately 50 million Fraser fir trees growing in on over 25,000 acres in western NC. These trees are tended too by over 1,600 growers. The life cycle for a single tree is 8 years.

This year a Frasier Fir from Mistletoe Meadows Christmas Tree Farm in Ashe County, NC will decorate the White House. The tree is 20ft tall and 13ft wide and weighs 2,000 pounds. I saw a story on public television saying that it took 19 years to grow this tree.

Learning all of this about my beloved Fraser fir gave me new appreciation for this fragrant decoration for our home this winter season. This years tree is special because it will be MC's first one!

1 comment:

emily said...

I'm a Fraser Fir girl myself. And guess how many tree farms/nurserys offer them around me. One. Crazy right? I guess we'll have to be doing that one day soon, won't we.