Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Quarterly: Moran Work Day on the Farm


Well folks it is that time of year again, time for "Moran Work Day on the Farm." This is an anticipated day of yard work to ready it for Spring.

On the agenda for this Saturday is pine straw. We need to freshen up our natural area with pine straw. The pine straw is pleasurable to look at but it will also hold in moisture to guard from the harsh heat of summer.

This day has to be scheduled, as I am not a lover of all things yard. I do appreciate a tidy lawn, weed free beds and the flowering plant. However, I do detest the sweating, aching back and dirty finger nails. So quarterly, I put aside my preferences and work in the yard.

Let me clarify that these yard feelings are not felt by my husband. He is king of all things grass. Our lawn is lush and green and well manicured, all thanks to him. I like to attribute this quality to the Irish bloodline. Grass is where his domain ends. I am responsible for the natural areas and weed pulling. The photo above is the end result of our last "Work Day" in the fall.

Now that we have a little one to frolic in our 0.35 acre of heaven. I am concerned about the chemicals we use. I found some great ideas from Erin's Frugal Living Blog. I plan to try her coffee grounds fertilizer on my azalea bushes and the vinegar weed killer!

I can already smell the grill and taste the frosty beverage that beckons us at the end of the day.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I completely agree about the yard work. Emphasis on the word "work". Ugh.

emily said...

I don't mind yard work. As long as it takes less than about 13-14 minutes. After that I'm bored and I hate it.

Is that your house? It's adorable. I'm so jealous. We're moving outside of Philadelphia where they aparently HATE cute homes. Be glad you live in the South!