Thursday, March 19, 2009

Green Mama Talks

I was asked by my dear friend LCO to speak to her MOPS group on being "green" for their March meeting. I was humbled that she thought to ask me and quickly realized I had not spoken in front a group since my working days which are getting smaller on the horizon every day.

Her group is a great group of gracious Mom's who let me stumble through my presentation. There were lots of green Mom's in the making amongst their group. They taught me a thing or two. It was a fun collaborative discussion about how we can be good stewards of our planet.

Thanks to Salem Baptist MOPS for having me. I thoroughly enjoyed your group!

I wanted to share with you a tip from that meeting. I'll post a few as a blog series.

#1 According to Energy Star, up to 40% of an appliances usage is when the appliance is turned off and not in use. By unplugging the appliance 6-26% savings can be had. Unplug small kitchen appliances after use (coffee pot, toaster oven, mixer, can opener, etc).

Take it a step further by unplugging those decorative lamps that are not used often. How about the lamp, alarm clock or TV in the guest room that is infrequently used? I did this in my home. Prior to a guest arriving I will spend time readying the room and can plug the items back in at that time.

These seemingly little things can add up to savings on your power bill.

No comments: