Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Banana No-Nut Bread


One of the "green mama" tips I have noted in my recent presentations is to conserve energy by decreasing the preheating time of the oven.

The statistic goes that if 30% of US Households reduced oven preheating time by 1 hour per year the energy saved could bake a dozen cookies for every American (The Green Book).

In the February 2009 issue of Good Housekeeping Amy Grant contributed a recipe for Banana Nut Bread that starts in a cool oven. You can imagine my excitement when I found a recipe that marries itself to the green tip so well!

I modified the recipe in our house as my husband does not care for nuts in his bread. It is moist and yummy nonetheless.

Amy Grant's
Grandma Grant's Banana Nut Bread

1c Sugar
1/2 c butter (1 stick) softened
2 lg eggs
3 bananas, sliced (2c)
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c pecans, chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1. Greast 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 metal loaf pan
2. Cream sugar with butter. Mix in eggs bananas, flour, pecans, baking soda, and salt. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Place loaf pan in cold oven. Set oven control to 300F and bake banana bread for 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick or skewe inserted in center comes otu clean.
4. Cool bread in pan 5 minutes on wire rack. Then remove from pan and cool completely, right side up.
Makes 1 loaf.

1 comment:

emily said...

I didn't know it was environmentally uncool to preheat but I hated it anyway. I'll try this!