Friday, January 9, 2009

Healthy Plants

I just love when I find out something I am already doing happens to be good for me! That is what happened when I came across a "Healthiest Plants" article in Health magazine.

The article highlights five hardworking houseplants that remove harmful chemicals from your home.

According to the article, indoor air becomes toxic from building materials and air fresheners.

Here is the list in no particular order:
1. English Ivy
  • clears out formaldehyde
  • climbing vine, super versatile



2. Bamboo Palm
  • clears out formaldehyde
  • low-maintenance; needs a few hrs of sunlight, water regularly




3. Lady Palm
  • clears ammonia
  • highly resistant to insects





4. Rubber Plant
  • clears formaldehyde
  • tolerates cool temps and low light, just keep watered



5. Peace Lily
  • removes acetone, benzene, alcohols and ammonia.
  • the only plant listed that flowers
I have had a peace lily since my grandfather passed away in 1999. Who knew it was providing these great air quality benefits all along!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Kudos on being able to keep them alive- I slowly kill all the plants that make it into our house:) Perhaps it's my way of letting aggression out:) Hope to see you at Bible study either/or Sunday and Tuesday!